My family gets together just about every Sunday for dinner. I usally try to bring a dish or two to help my mom out. Mom is making her wonderful chicken enchiladas. Here is what I am bringing this Sunday to go with them...Apple Sauce Cake (A lighter version of my Great Grandmother Bonnie's Recipe)
20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling Ingredients
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces PHILADELPHIA Neufchatel Cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, beat egg substitute for 1 minute on medium speed. Add the
- applesauce, sugar and oil; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients;
- add to applesauce mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in confectioners'
- sugar and vanilla. Frost the cake. Yield: 20 servings.
One piece equals 186 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges:
1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
I used light butter instead of the oil and about 2/3 cup of sugar and a little dab of honey and light cream chesse to make it even lower in cals. As you can see I used a different pan (bundt cake) but I am sure it is pretty with a 13 X 9 pan too. You have to watch the time it is a little different with the bundt (about 35 mins). It doesnt rise all the way to the top but it doesnt matter :-)Southwest Salad
- 1.5 bags of Spring Mix
- 2 small thinly sliced roma tomatos
- 2 small pepers (one yellow, one red) thinly sliced
- 1/2 a small red onion sliced
- one Avacado diced
- 1/2 can of low sodium whole kernal yellow corn drained
- 1 can of black beans (washed and drained)
- Kroger Brand Light Southweat Ranch (70 cals for 2 table spoons)
Place sping mix in large slad bowl. Mix the black beans and corn and place on top. Then mix the tomatos, peppers, and onions and place on top. Then add in the diced avacodos. Toss at the table before serving. It is a very pretty salad and easy to make.